Errors are CoPara

This is just a quick note from a thought I had. Incidentally thoughts of this length were precisely the reason I made LocalCharts, so I’m quite happy now.

Imagine that we are working in a programming language which has the following construct. I can declare a function which either returns a value or an error of one of a certain collection of types. This is the case, for instance, in Zig, where we can have something like

fn openFile(name: String): error{FileNotFound,NotPermitted}!FileHandle {
}

This is a function which might fail in two ways; if I try to open a file, it might not be there, or it might be their, but I am not permitted to access it. For each of these ways it might fail, there is an appropriate error that it throws.

I can compose this with a function

fn writeFile(handle: FileHandle, contents: String): error{OutOfSpace,NotPermitted}!usize {
}

which might also fail in two ways. However, when I compose these functions, I get something which can throw three different types of error! I.e., I could get FileNotFound, OutOfSpace, or NotPermitted.

We might model this with something like a CoPara construction. Suppose I have a set of error types E. Then I make a category where the objects are sets, and a morphism from A to B is a choice of subset E_f \subset E, and a function f \colon A \to E_f + B. Composing f \colon A \to E_f + B and g \colon B \to E_g + C gives me a function (f \circ g) \colon A \to (E_f \cup E_g) + C, where I implicitly use the map E_f + E_g \to E_f \cup E_g.

That’s sort of all there is to this thought, but @david.jaz recently said that he didn’t know any good examples of a copara construction, so here is one!

2 Likes

Just to set the record straight, I said I didn’t know an example of a “dependent copara” or “dependently graded monad”. What you have here is what’s known as a graded monad, which is just a lax functor into the monoidal category of endofunctors (what’s the problem?). In particular, it is essentially the lax monoidal functor \mathcal{P}(E) \to \mathsf{Fun}(\mathsf{Type}, \mathsf{Type}) sending S to X \mapsto S + X with laxator S + T + X \to (S \cup T) + X.

You are totally right that the Kleisli construction for graded comonads coincides with the copara construction for an appropriate lax action (in this case, of the power set of E on types).

I guess since the cat is out of the bag, I should say what a dependently graded monad is. This is an idea that @mattecapu and I had as part of our abstract approach to the Para construction (note that since we talk about Para, things are dualized and we end up with comonads). We define a “fibred action” to be a pseudo-monad in a tricategory of spans with left leg a cartesian fibration and where the span morphisms are colax on the right leg; this turns out to be essentially the same thing as a “dependently graded comonad”. The dual notion — where the right leg is a cocartesian fibration and the span morphisms are lax on the left leg — gives you a “dependently graded monad”. I can describe it explicitly in Agda-like syntax:

record DepGrMonad : Type where 
  E : Functor(Type, Type)
  i : {X : Type} -> E X
  M : (X : Type) -> E X -> Type 
  _m_ : {X : Type} (e : E X) -> E (M X e) -> E X
  return : {X : Type} -> X -> M X i
  bind : {X : Type} {e : E X} {Y : Type} {f : E Y} 
         -> M X e -> (g : X -> M Y f) 
         -> M Y (f m (map E g e))

In this case, E is a functor which we could think of as assigning a type X to the type E X of exceptions which computations that yield a value of type X could throw. Given an exception e : E X, we can form the type M X e of computations of values of X that might throw the exception e. We have “no-exception” i : E X and a way to combine an exception e : E X with an exception f that could be thrown after e and therefore on type M X e — that is, f : E (M X e) — and this will give another exception on X, namely e m f : E X. We then have the usual monadic return (or pure) and bind; we can return the value x : X with no error, giving return x : M X i, and we can bind the possible error m : M X e to the variable x in a lambda expression \ x -> t : X -> M Y f which might throw an error of kind f and get the value bind m \ x -> t : M Y (f m (map E e)) which computes a value of Y unless t through an error of kind f or m contained an error of kind e, where in the latter case we must push forward e using the functoriality of E to ensure that it is a kind of error that computations of type Y can throw.

I don’t know a concrete example of that. One “problem” is that the dependency is on the codomain; naively, we would expect something to go wrong in a way that depends on the input rather than the output.

What I do know examples of are dependently graded comonads, which for the record are defined as:

record DepGrComonad : Type where 
  E : ContravariantFunctor(Type, Type)
  i : {X : Type} -> E X
  C : (X : Type) -> E X -> Type 
  _m_ : {X : Type} (e : E X) -> E (M X e) -> E X
  extract: {X : Type} -> C X i -> X
  extend: {X : Type} {e : E X} {Y : Type} {f : E Y} 
         -> (g : C X e -> Y) 
         -> C X (e m (map E g f)) -> C Y f

There are a lot of examples of these, including things which you might imagine should be more like monadic error handling (where the dependency is on the domain i.e. input) Here’s one — the dependent Maybe comonad — in faux syntax where lacking easy unicode I’ll just write Pair for Sigma types (and take unit : Unit to be the unit type and Empty to be the empty type):

If : Bool -> Type
If true = Unit
If false = Empty

_and_ : (x : Bool) -> (If x -> Bool) -> Bool
true and y = y unit 
false and y = false

GrMaybe : DepGrComonad
GrMaybe.E X := X -> Bool
GrMaybe.i := const true 
GrMaybe.C X c := Pair X \x -> If (c x)
c GrMaybe.m d := \x -> (c x) and \ cx-is-true -> d (x, cx-is-true)
GrMaybe.extract (x, _) := x
GrMaybe.extend g (x, p) := (g (x , first p), second p) 
  where
    first : {x : Bool} {y : If x -> Bool} -> If (x and y) -> If x
    first {true} _ = unit
    first {false} xy = xy

second : {x : Bool} {y : If x -> Bool} (p : If (x and y)) -> If (y (first p))
    second {true} p = p
    second {false} p = Empty-elim p

Ok that was a lot and I hope I didn’t make any mistakes there. A Kleisli map g : C X c -> Y is a partial function; it can be curried into curry g : (x : X) -> If (c x) -> Y, so we can see it as a function that takes and x : X and yields an element of y if the condition c x : Bool is satisfied; if it isn’t, then If (c x) is empty and we can use empty-elimination to get ourselves out of this jam. This is a “dependent” version of the Maybe monad (note that Maybe Y is equivalent to Pair b \ b -> If b -> Y, assuming univalence); but it’s a comonad and not a monad! What? The Kleisli category of this dependently graded comonad is equivalent to the Kleisli category of the Maybe monad — but here the type signatures help you express the precise condition that you need to be true. This is a well known pattern in dependent type theory (presumably, I don’t know where to cite it from but obviously the Cubical people knew about it since Cubical sort of runs off this pattern).

Anyway, there are a lot of these. You can finagle any Sigma-closed subuniverse into a dependently graded comonad like above; it also curries nicely into something more monad looking. If it is a subuniverse of propositions (i.e. a dominance), then the Kleisli category for this dep. gr. comonad is the category of partial maps with open domain.

As for another example, here’s how you can do a “cost analysis” dependently graded comonad. Suppose we have a monoid C, +, 0 of costs. Define the following (with lazier faux syntax):

E X = X -> C
i = const 0
C X c = X   
c m d = \x -> c x + d x
extract x = x
extend g x = g x

This only adds information to the type signature and that info could be happily erased; namely, g : C X c -> Y is just a function g : X -> Y, but we stipulate that it costs c x on input x : X. When you do Kleisli composition, you just add the costs of each component function. By definition, the Kleisli composition of g : C X c -> Y and h : C Y d -> Z is h . (extend g) : C X (\x -> c x + d (g x)) -> Z which, as you can see, just aggregates the costs.

2 Likes

Yet another reason I love localcharts: now I know what a graded monad is!

2 Likes